Mean Girls, Broadway Musical Review

By Chloe - 12:38




Mean Girls, based on the 2004 movie of the same name, opened at the August Wilson Theatre in Broadway, New York in April 2018. I was DYING to see it, and on my recent trip to the Big Apple,  my mum and I managed to bag centre stage orchestra tickets and let me tell you, it exceeded my expectations!!

If you've never seen Mean Girls (literally... have you lived under a rock?) the premise of the plot, is that Cady Heron an ex-homeschooled teenage girl moves to America with her biologist parents, after having lived in Africa for all of her life. Her social interactions were limited - I'm talking one phone, lots of animals and no other teens. In the US, Cady gets her first experiences of a different jungle; high school. Tackling friends, boys and the Plastics - a clique of 3 socialite style mean girls -  Cady goes from an outsider with art geek friends Janis and Damien, to being in the 'in-crowd'. Calamity ensues with bitchy girls, lying, attempts at toppling the hierarchy and some animalistic style behaviour. Cady learns a lot along the way from queen bee 'Apex Predator' Regina George, and her dutiful minions secret-keeping dutiful Gretchen Weiners and 'dumb blonde' Karen Smith.



Whilst the play is not an exact replica of its iconic namesake, it does feature the quips and memorable lines -  Fetch, October 3rd and 'that's why her hair's so big - it's full of secrets' to name but a few. Set 14 years later than the original, social media plays a larger role in the play but the infamous burn book still reigns supreme at destroying self-esteem. With epic dance numbers, a constantly changing and transitioning set, and some hilarious one-liners Mean Girls is a fun night and feel-good show for fans of the original, a girls-night-out or if you're looking for music to be stuck in your brain.

As you may have seen from my Instagram story, I am (a little) obsessed with the soundtrack of this show. Pop style ballads in the form of It Roars and Fearless marry with quirky attempts at love songs dueted by Cady (Erika Herringsen) and love interest, and Regina's ex-boyfriend Aaron Samuels (Kyle Selig) Stupid with Love and More is Better. Whilst I love them, I don't think ALL of the songs are necessary, but there are ones that help steer the plot including a cry of insecurity from Gretchen - What's Wrong With Me?  and Janis Ian's (Barrett Wilbert Weed) I'd Rather Be Me is a real kick-arse anthem to all girls who have been screwed over. Also, Revenge Party is just a bit of fun (and who wouldn't want a party with singing, dancing and cake), and is a great way of narrating Cady's takedown of the terrible trio.

Whilst the anti-bullying message comes through, and the characters are peppy and the plot fun, I can see why it didn't win any of the 12 Tony's it was nominated for. Whilst I left the theatre having enjoyed myself, I don't think the play itself had a real 'take away' message that wasn't evident or already seen in its original movie counterpart. A lot of the character development seen in the film is lacking on stage as we jump from one musical number to the next.




That being said, I took a real shine to Renee Rapp, who overtook the role of Regina this autumn, and exudes the confidence and meanness we so covet from the head-bitch-in-charge. She's given Disney villain meets Bond bombshell style music and seems a little more like-able post getting hit by a bus, than her movie namesake. Also, the Halloween costume scene is HILARIOUS - outfits including sexy Abraham Lincoln and sweetcorn are an epic touch.

If I was going to give the show stars out of 5? 4 for you Glen Coco! (Sorry I had to)

Kisses,
Chlo

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments