My Favourite Comfort Movies

By Chloe - 16:44



My lovely friend Louise - fellow book, sci-fi and Thai food enthusiast - recently did a blog post (linked here) all about her fave comfort movies during the lockdown and she encouraged me to do the same. You, like me and Louise, might have movies that no matter the scenario - global pandemic, a bad day at the office, or when you're feeling sad- you can stick on and they automatically make you smile or at least feel a little less shit.

So without further ado, here are my top 5 comfort films and as every talent show host says, these results are in no particular order


PADDINGTON

From one Londoner to you, I can safely say I could never look at the station in the same way after seeing these films (ditto marmalade, ditto tiny cute bears in hats, ditto toothbrushes - and not all for the reason you might think). Michael Bond’s loveable bear and his adventures with the Brown family are unpredictable and hilarious and this is often a movie franchise I stick on if I’ve had a cry because amongst the tears it still makes me smile (lots). Wholesome family fun, Hugh Grant, and lots of laughs.

THE GREATEST SHOWMAN

Ahh a musical, really did you expect my musical theatre-loving ass not to put one on the list? I am like every other cliché Gen-Z and mum who loves this movie for its uplifting message, stellar cast and not to mention the SONGS. You’ve got a wholesome zero to hero storyline, and a hero’s downfall complete with a moral message, and Zac Efron in a coat with tails, what’s not to love?




TANGLED
Now for anyone who knows me, there’s no surprise that a Disney film would feature, and this little gem is my favourite Disney princess movie. You’ve got an evil stepmother, a little sprinkle of magic, bad guys, a dreamy guy on a horse and a hook wielding pianist; all of which sum up a cliche (yet fab) rescue-the-princess movie, apart from maybe the last one. It’s got magical visuals (hello, that lantern scene), catchy songs and an adorable chameleon, and that my friends is why it’s been a fave even if it came out a decade ago. Also, it’s pretty fitting since Rapunzel is isolating from Corona (her town, not the virus-like us).  (Available on Disney Plus)


NATIONAL TREASURE 1 & 2
Okay, I know what you’re thinking - a Nicholas Cage film, as in the guy who’s in all those memes, yup. This series literally ticks every box for me - you’ve got ancient American history, action and adventure, a side arc love story (sorry, spoilers) and super cool treasure hunters. I’ve seen these movies so many times I can practically quote along with it (fun fact, when I visited Philadelphia in November and went to the spots from the movie, I basically quoted the film references on my story from memory without even the need for google - I’m just that obsessed). I’ve heard there’s a third one in the pipeline (pls be true @ Disney gods) which I have been waiting for since NT2 came out in 2007. (Available on Disney Plus)


THE SOURCE CODE

Now you’re probably reading this list thinking, Chlo hun, your film taste is varied - and you wouldn’t be wrong. Set on a train heading to Chicago, one man must find out who is responsible for a bomb exploding killing all the passengers on board and those on a passing train too, not exactly lighthearted right? I have a distinct memory of going to see this at the cinema back in 2011 and from then I was hooked. Jake Gyllenhaal, new sci-fi tech and a race against the clock to find answers basically has my adventure-loving heart racing. I think the real reason I love this movie so much is that its one you can get lost in, you experience the same disorientation as Colter Stevens as he tries to figure out the scenario he’s been thrust into; going into the Source Code is an escape from your reality (literally the software itself does this).



If you’re looking recommendations of what to watch during lockdown, I can’t recommend these movies more highly, after all, they can’t be that bad if I’ve seen them all at least 10 times.

Kisses
Chlo

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments