New York Photo Diary Day 1-2

By Chloe - 12:06



Back in December, I finally ticked off the Big Apple from my bucket list and it had been a long time coming. As an avid Gossip Girl and Sex and the City viewer, I'd lusted after the city I'd love one day to call home (even if for only a brief time). Can't you just imagine me living out my Carrie Bradshaw fantasy as a writer in NY, only with less male drama preferably.


DAY 1 

As we touched down at LaGuardia Airport (one of the lesser-known NY airports), we were lucky enough to witness the city become blanketed in snow, but that didn't deter us. My mum and I donned our hats, and in my case, my fluffy leopard coat, and we set off to tick things off our list.

The first of which was Grand Central Station, which wasn't that far away from our hotel - The Westgate New York Grand Central. If like me you've seen Gossip Girl more times than you'd like to admit, you've dreamed of having your own 'Serena Van Der Woodsen' bags in hand at Grand Central Station moment, and let me tell you - it didn't disappoint. Beautiful architecture, a bustling city atmosphere and my space-loving heart were happy to see constellations embellishing the jade green ceilings.


From here, we ventured to see the Rockefeller Tree (which sadly wasn't switched on until later in the week but check my other post to see it in full twinkly light glory). Now let's be real, I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to see the biggest Christmas tree in person, and also live out my Kevin in Home Alone 2 moment. I whipped out my phone to snap a video for my One Second Everyday app (I love btw, would definitely recommend) and even added the iconic theme music to it.

From here we ticked off the Trump Tower - mainly for their Starbucks, whom I'd like to thank for sheltering us from the snow, but also for my US discovery of strawberry açaí lemonade which in one word I'd describe as DREAMY.

From here, we ventured out to explore more and hit up Times Square. Now I'm sure you've seen countless photographs all over social media but nothing prepares you for how big and expansive it feels in person. There are screens and stores and people everywhere, always. Everywhere you look there are videos, and colour and noise - it's really impressive and here is where it really hit home that I was immersed in New York. From here we spotted the Hard Rock Cafe where we went for dinner, and also did some shopping on Fifth Avenue.  We also spotted the twinkling lights of Radio City as explored and even took in the timed musical light show projected on the front of Saks. We had planned to visit the Top of the Rockefeller but the snowy conditions prevented us.


DAY 2 

We started day two in true American fashion, with authentic New York bagels - and with what we had planned for the day I was certainly like GIVE ME THE CARBS.



We headed to tourist hot-spot the Empire State Building and purchased the tickets that allow you to visit both the 86th and 102nd floor. I'd recommend booking these from the kiosks there and make sure you select a timeslot you'll be able to attend. The view is quite frankly breathtaking - with panoramic views of the city landscape it's no wonder millions flock to visit (and take selfies from the top!) There is a fun museum-style interactivity as you make your way through the building with iconic movie posters that it's featured in including King Kong and Spider-Man, and also the history on how it was built - and there's also an opportunity to get a green screen photo that you can purchase at the end.

From here we did some further on-foot exploring to Madison Square Park which is right near the Flatiron Building. The park houses a few installations by artists and is a green space amongst the sprawling landscape of New York's impressive expanse of skyscrapers, and movies like I am Legend and My Super-Ex Girlfriend have been filmed here. The Flatiron Building is known for its triangular shape, hence the name - it's meant to be like a clothes iron!


We then ventured into Greenwich Village, where we visited Sex and the City's Carrie Bradshaw's apartment, swung by the Chelsea Market - which has stalls of art, jewellery, decor, you name it - they had it. I loved explored Greenwich as it had a really different vibe and feeling to it than central Manhattan and I wish we had more time to explore there, especially as we also wanted to to do the High-Line whilst in this area, but the snow meant it was closed - BOO!


After this we swung by Washington Square Park - recognisable for the Washington Square Arch - and with many of the surrounding buildings belonging to New York University. The area lends itself as a battleground at the beginning of Avengers: Infinity War.

Next on our tour was food, so we ate dinner in Times Square. We stopped to take less snowy pictures, and then enjoyed Mean Girls (we did purchase our tickets earlier that day from the concession booth in the square, I'd recommend doing this for cheaper tickets. We managed to snag central orchestra/stall seat tickets for a ridiculously good price). You can read more about my experience seeing the  Broadway musical here.


Full disclaimer, my casual 'we swung by' and 'we ventured' involved a lot of walking and Google-mapping so wear some comfy shoes! Keep your eyes peeled for the next instalment in my trip photo diary!

Kisses

Chlo


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments