Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Review

By Chloe - 11:50



This month, I was meant to be seeing Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, but due to Coronavirus, this has been postponed. I thought this provided the perfect opportunity to review and revisit my previous trip (to Hogwarts). 

Let's adjust my time turner, and flashback to the summer of 2017, where I eagerly joined the queue of 100,000 plus to bag myself tickets for the next instalment in the Harry Potter series. I'd purposely not read much into it but some fantastic reviews, and amazing production shots later, my heart was set on going. As the time rolled around in June last summer, I took one of my best friends Jarrod along (he also did a review linked here) and we had - if you'll excuse the pun - a magical time! 

Before the show, we stopped off at The Theatre Cafe on St Martin's Lane, which had a special Harry Potter display (hence the photo of the house badges above!) before we headed off.



If you're unfamiliar with the story, the play is split between 2 parts - and myself and Jarrod saw both part 1 and part 2 on a Sunday. Without giving any spoilers Harry Potter and the Cursed Child tells the story of Harry Potter, and his friends, and children 19 years after the events of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows. With classic favourite characters like Hagrid, Hermione and the beloved Severus Snape, you'll also hear and see other familiar names and elements like the Hogwarts Express and a Time-Turner.

The story follows Albus Potter, son of Harry and Ginny, as he embarks on his first year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. You follow along as he makes an unlikely friend in the form of Scorpius Malfoy, the son of Harry's school enemy Draco. The pair tackle the unfamiliarity of the wizarding world with the same awkwardness and bravado as I tackled high school, ah memories.

The spell effects are restrained yet perfect - just the right hint of the magic you see and love in the films including spell-work, dementors and the entrance to the Ministry of Magic are all cleverly shown on stage. There's astonishing on-stage costume changes, quick-witted characters and even water scenes, plus moments that left me with my mouth agape and my bum on the end of my seat. Imogen Heap's soundtrack is simply exquisite (don't believe me? Check Spotify)



The Palace Theatre in London is the perfect home for the show - beautiful, expansive - yet still intimate - and it has a real sense of old English about it which automatically makes you feel cosy. There are old-fashioned wallpaper and plush seats (tiny spoiler here - the setting of the theatre even temporarily lends itself as part of the show).

The two parts certainly cram in a lot of action, and its a visceral emotional experience having J.K. Rowling's much-loved characters in front of you giving an incident-packed performance. The show is almost broke up into episodes with fleeting scenes at different, recognisable moments in time and memorable locations. It's real and tangible and surpassed the expectations I had from reading the script book.

A must-see for every Harry Potter fan, and I hope you enjoyed my (relatively) spoiler-free review, and if you see it too remember to #KeepTheSecrets


Kisses,
Chlo

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments