Book Chats | Five Romance Authors I Love

By Chloe - 09:32





From my previous posts, you've probably spotted I'm a bit of a reader. Ever since I was little, my nose has always been firmly planted in a book and this continues to be the case especially as my London commute lends itself perfectly to some reading time and also it's my favourite form of non-screen related downtime. During lockdown I was reunited with my beloved bookcase of favourites including my stash of much-loved romance / chick lit novels. I like to read a variety of genres, and mainly stick to fiction as a form of escapism, and one of the perfect forms for me is a good ol' chick-lit. In this post I've rounded up a couple of my favourite authors who's easy going storylines and the promise of a happy ending (of some sort) keeps me coming back for more


Cecelia Ahern


I'll start with what I consider the most romantic of the lot, which is Cecilia Ahern who's books translate into fantastic rom-coms that will make you sob. My personal favourite works of hers are P.S. I Love You and Love, Rosie (previously called Where Rainbows End.) I will admit that I had seen the film counterparts before the books came into my life, but I can confirm the books are better. Pure unadulterated romance that makes you gush and feel sappy, or in my case stark-ravingly SINGLE. There is a tear-jerking element to them, especially compared to the other authors and books in this post, so if you're looking for something that won't make you cry, opt for one of those instead. 


Sophie Kinsella

Next up is Sophie Kinsella who is an author I cannot recommend enough. I was originally introduced to her by my older sister, in the form of the Becky Bloomwood series Confessions of a Shopaholic and let me tell you, I have never torn through a series quicker than these (the film is also excellent if that's more your style). I laughed aloud at Becky's misfortunes and rooted for her success. Since then I've been adding Sophie's standalone titles to my TBR pile and my Amazon wishlist - here I've snapped I Owe You One, My Not So Perfect Life and Surprise Me which are all ones I've re-read during lockdown.  Sophie's books are perfect for you if you like humorous stories featuring quick-wit and entertaining character dynamics. Usually, the female protagonist gets herself into a comic adventure and hilarity ensues for a high-spirited silly story that comforts you like a hot chocolate on a cold evening. I always find myself happily diverted from whatever is going on in my life for a few hours when I curl up with one of her works.



Zoë Folbigg

Back when I interned at Fabulous Magazine (psst you can read about my experience here) I took advantage of the bookshop in the cafeteria and orchestrated a book swap with a friend who was interning at another magazine which led me to the discovery of The Note based on a true story of one little note to a man on the train and how it changed a woman's life. It's actually the story of how Zoë met her husband but with a few editorial liberties. Since then I've read all of her other books - The Distance and The Postcard - and they all follow relatable female characters who are down on their luck experiencing the highs and lows of life. I love a good 'journey' story, especially if it's one of realising your self-worth, discovering things about yourself and loved ones, or learning to be a better person and that's exactly what these stories do. 



Beth O'Leary

A recent discovery of mine, whose works The Flatshare and The Switch were shown on my Instagram feed constantly and raved about within an inch of their lives. Whilst I'm not usually a sucker for an Instagram cliche, I did buy both books and can confirm they are worth the hype. Charming characters, light-hearted escapism in its purest form. Within the plots of both books, there's often a comic misunderstanding or parts that make you cry, but they also left me with a warm fuzziness in my soul akin to when you put on a pair of fluffy socks and sink into a warm duvet in winter.  Her books are the perfect antidote books for in the midst of a pandemic, or just after a long day. I found myself wanting the book to keep going so I could cherish the charm and lightheartedness for a little while longer. Situations are dealt with in a nuanced and delicate manner, but it never feels too easy-going or too cliche roll-your-eyes rom-com style. 




Jojo Moyes

Last but not least is another well-known chick-lit author thanks to the film counterpart of Me Before You starring the dreamy Sam Claflin and Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke. I find Moyes' work is heavily detailed, allowing you to immerse yourself into the characters' experiences as if you're living the events with them. Her tales allow you to disconnect and get lost in another world - whether that is in World War One in The Girl You Left Behind or the tiny English village in Me Before You. Following ordinary women going through things with a few drops of drama, but ones who have enough charisma and charm to relate to. Her way of writing is more immersive and descriptive than some of the others in this post so if you're a sucker for the details, this one is for you!


So there we have it - if you know any authors similar to these that you think I might like please drop me a comment below or message me on social media as I am keen to add to my ever-growing 'to read' list.

Kisses,

Chlo

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments